You are here
Fun Facts About KWU
1. Kansas Wesleyan University has had 27 presidents, including acting or interim presidents, since the school’s founding in 1886. Current President and CEO Matt Thompson, Ph.D., was inaugurated during Homecoming Weekend 2013.
2. The 1880s was a decade marked by the expansion of higher education in Kansas, with 12 small colleges, including Kansas Wesleyan University, opening their doors in a six-year span.
3. The Methodist Episcopal Church’s new Conference of Northwest Kansas first met in Beloit in March 1883 and addressed the need to provide for the higher education needs of the area.
4. The conference at that 1883 meeting recommended the appointment of a Board of Trustees and that it consist of nine persons, five ministers and four laymen.
5. The first Board of Trustees consisted of J. H. Lockwood; R.A. Caruhters, D.D.; H. H. Sudendorf; Martin Mohler; J. S. Goodwin; C.S. Sweet; A. N. See; G. Breed; and M. M. Stolz.
6. In 1885, Salina was one of four communities to bid for the privilege of becoming the home of a proposed Methodist university. The others were Ellsworth, Clyde and Beloit.
7. Salina offered a spacious site of 15 acres on the southern boundary of the city and $26,000 toward a building.
8. Money was raised to erect the first building at KWU by purchasing a tract of land to the south of the city, laying it out in city lots and selling these at $100 apiece. This very successful idea was proposed by Mr. A. M. Claflin, an enthusiastic supporter of the new institution.
9. To locate the building site of KWU, the Board of Trustees came in by train and were met at the railroad station. They were taken to the south end of the city, where a fence was let down and they crossed a potato patch and drove along the edge of a cornfield into a prairie about a half mile south of the city limits.
10. The name of the institution was suggested by the Honorable A. P. Collins, at one time president of the Board, and was adopted July 9, 1885.
11. Student labor was utilized to finish the basement of the original administration building for classroom purposes.
12. Kansas Wesleyan University opened its doors on Sept. 15, 1886, with 11 faculty members.
13. The first president of KWU, William F. Swahlen, also taught Latin, German and English Literature.
14. In the first academic session there were just two students of college rank enrolled: Henry M. Mayo, a senior, and Daniel McGurk, a freshman. However, the preparatory department had an enrollment of 61; the music department had 25; the business department had 20; the normal (teacher education) department had nine; and the training-school had 27.
15. In 1886, the Athenaeum Society was founded at KWU when a group of high-minded female students resolved to band together under the white banner of Athena in the search for the best in intellectual and social training. In 1889, a second group of female students organized the Zetagathean Society, taking for their emblem the Maltese Cross and for their motto “In search of the best things.”
16. In the early days, the homes of all KWU instructional staff were always open to their students.
17. H. M. Mayo completed his course and received his degree at the first KWU Commencement exercise on June 14, 1887, becoming the first member of the KWU Alumni Association.
18. In 1889, male students organized the Delphian Society, with the Greek admonition “know thyself” as their watchword. In 1892, men formed the Ionian Society. In their respective halls in the old Administration Building, these societies, and those of the women, convened regularly, studied diligently and pursued parliamentary procedure, debated weighty social, religious and philosophical issues of the day and groomed champion teams in oratory and debate. These were precursors of the later Greek letter fraternities and sororities.
19. In 1890, it was decided the university needed just one publication of student opinion. So the Wesleyan Lance and the Kansas Wesleyan Advocate merged to become the new Wesleyan Advance. For years, the Advance was a monthly 16-page publication featuring literary articles of merit. In 1909, it became an eight-page weekly. There have been many changes over the years but continues to serve its original purpose of reflecting student opinion and sharing college news. Over its history, it has been a valuable training ground for many budding journalists.
20. C. W. Burch, was the sole member of the college class of 1891, was the first graduate to complete the entire four-year course at Kansas Wesleyan. He went on to become senior partner of the Salina law firm Burch, Litowich and Royce and a staunch advocate of the small college.
21. In 1892, the Kansas Wesleyan College of Commerce was established to train young Kansans to carry the spirit of Christian idealism into the affairs of the business community. The school began with two students and two instructors in one 18’x24’ room and $100 of property, including one typewriter.
22. At the peak of the Kansas Wesleyan Business College in 1908, it boasted 1,000 students annually, requiring 20 instructors and 18 rooms, the largest being 50’x70’, with property worth more than $60,000, including 80 new typewriters. It was housed in a spacious three-story brick structure in downtown Salina at the corner of Walnut St. and Santa Fe Ave.
23. Students of the Kansas Wesleyan Business College in its first 15 years were gathered from farms, villages and towns of Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Missouri and Nebraska. Graduates equipped a good business education could be found in India, China, Japan, Korea, Central and South America, Mexico, Philippine Islands, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Hawaiian Islands and in all 46 states.
24. In 1910, it was affirmed that there were 15 graduates of Kansas Wesleyan abroad in missionary service in such places as India, Philippine Islands, Korea, China and Latin America.
25. The College of Commerce was guided for 21 years by Dr. T. W. Roach, who also was chosen in 1903 to serve at the same time as president of the university during a period of grave financial crisis. The university began moving in a positive direction during his five years in that office.
26. When Dr. T.W. Roach left the administration of the College of Commerce in 1913, he was elected chairman of the Board of Trustees. He donated his home on the corner of Claflin Ave. and Santa Fe to Kansas Wesleyan to serve as a permanent president’s residence.
27. Coursework at the College of Commerce were offered for many years in three distinct divisions: a Department of Business Administration, offering a two-year schedule of university-level content; A Department of Stenography and Business Training, offering five short intensive courses; and a Department of Telegraphy, having to do with the art or practice of constructing or operating telegraphs.
28. Under Dr. T. W. Roach’s able and enthusiastic leadership, the Kansas Wesleyan College of Commerce achieved a reputation for being the finest of its kind throughout the Midwest. Later, it came to be known as the Kansas Wesleyan Business College.
29. The Kansas Wesleyan Business College proclaimed, “A diploma from K.W.B.C. is evidence of hard, conscientious and meritorious work. It represents excellence in scholarship and is issued only to candidates of good moral character. Every diploma bearing the seal of Kansas Wesleyan indicates that the possessor is qualified to render satisfactory service and stands as an unqualified recommendation to its holder.”
30. In 1935, action was taken to discontinue the Kansas Wesleyan Business College and transfer its program and activities to the Department of Economics and Business Administration of the university. This afforded commerce students with the privilege of studies in a wide range of cultural subjects and the opportunity to train as teachers of commercial work.
31. In 1896, at the close of its 10th year, Kansas Wesleyan University had a graduating class of 10 college students.
32. The Class of 1896 boasted among its members David E. Blair, who went on to earn a law degree from Kansas University and rose to the position of Judge of Jasper County, MO. For several years, he served with honor and distinction on the bench of the Supreme Court of Missouri.
33. J. H. Kuhn, who was among the first to enroll on the opening day of Kansas Wesleyan, completed all preparatory and college work and received his degree with the class of 1897.
34. A graduate of the Class of 1897, William N. Blair, went on to McCormick (Presbyterian) Seminary of Chicago and served for 35 years as a missionary in Pyongyang, Chosen, now in North Korea.
35. When Kansas Wesleyan University opened in 1886, Professor Aaron Schuyler was named, was elected chair of Mathematics and Philosophy and Psychology when KWU opened in 1886. He served as president from 1890 to 1894, relinquishing the post to devote himself more fully to teaching.
36. By the university’s 50th anniversary in 1936, KWU had grown to have 24 full-time faculty members and a student body of about 450 in all departments.
37. The original 1886 KWU property value was $75,000, including campus and one building and an endowment of $31,000. By 1936, it had grown to about $700,000, including an endowment of $250,000.
38. The Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) and Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) had a presence on campus during the early years of the university. The object of these associations was “to unite all students who desire to strengthen the spiritual life and influence of the college; to promote growth in Christian fellowship, character and aggressive Christian work, especially by and for students; to train its members for Christian service; and to lead them to devote their lives to Christ where they can accomplish the most for the extension of the kingdom of God.”
39. University Methodist Church, a branch of First Church, was organized in April 1909 to meet the needs of the growing university constituency of south Salina. Kansas Wesleyan faculty were in church leadership positions. For eight years, the congregation held its worship services in the chapel of the KWU Administration Building. Finally in 1917, the decision was made to proceed with the construction of a church auditorium.
40. A spacious parsonage for the pastor of University Methodist Church was built adjacent to the present church building. Decades later, the house became a place where the university’s Black American Student Union members could host meetings, social activities and dances.
41. Early on, the KWU athletic teams were simply called the Wesleyans. By 1916, the yearbook was called the Coyote.
42. Dean Albert H. King, for whom King Gymnasium was named, came to Kansas Wesleyan in 1903 as head of the department of Education. The following year he was made dean of the College of Liberal Arts. During a large part of his more than 30 years in this role, he also at times served as vice president and registrar and twice was interim president. He was honored with the Doctor of Pedagogy degree from KWU in 1921.
43. Dean King was a zealous supporter of Kansas Wesleyan athletics and had a large part in raising funds for the construction of the gymnasium that fittingly bore his name. He also served as chairman of the Kansas Athletic Conference. The cornerstone of King Gymnasium was laid on Oct. 21, 1915.
44. Natural Sciences Professor W. F. Hoyt, who served for a brief period as acting president, is known for the securing of the observatory and telescope which for many years were located on was later the building site for King Gymnasium. At the time of its acquisition in 1902, the 15-foot tall cylindrical stone tower with a Moorish dome was the only college observatory in Kansas and the 12-in. reflector Peate telescope was the largest in the state.
45. For 17 years the Administration Building stood alone on the KWU campus. Under President T. W. Roach, plans for a ladies residence came to fruition. Schulyer Hall, made famous in the words of the school’s alma mater, was constructed slowly in 1904–05. The cornerstone for Schuyler Hall was laid on Mar. 10, 1904.
46. For women arriving for fall 1904, just the basement and first story of Schuyler Hall had been built. When completed, the four-story structure had 50 large resident rooms, a 200-person dining room named for a generous donor, Mr. F.D. Kimble, and reception and library rooms.
47. In 1905, the Kansas Wesleyan Business College in downtown Salina, KS, was the only school in the state that kept an exclusive penmanship teacher. Also offered was a course in etiquette.
48. The Business College in 1905 charged $12.75 for books, stationery and ink for the Commercial or Business Course, which lasted from 12 to 20 weeks.
49. Directions in 1905 for transportation to the Business College from the train station: “Leave your trunk to take care of itself at the depot, take your grip (suitcase) and walk right up to the hack (horse-drawn taxi) that is always at the end of the depot platform day or night; get into the hack and tell the hackman (driver) plainly that you want to go to Kansas Wesleyan Business College.”
50. The “Sixteenth Annual Catalogue for Kansas Wesleyan Business College 1908–09” pointed out in its history that some of its graduates “are helping to carry on the work in keeping the accounts with the Isthmian Canal.” The construction of Panama Canal began in 1906 and concluded in August 1914 with the opening of the canal to commercial traffic.
51. A conditional $25,000 gift from Mr. Andrew Carnegie stipulated that a like amount be raised by the university and all outstanding debts cleared. The cornerstone of Carnegie Hall of Science was laid on Nov. 18, 1908.
52. The three-story Carnegie Science Hall took shape in late 1908, with reinforced concrete and brick and fireproofed throughout. The first two floors housed the departments of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Geology. The third floor was reserved for the library and natural history museum. Dr. M. M. Stolz became librarian in 1912.
53. Dr. Schuyler gave his personal library of 1,800 volumes to the university with the provision that the collection be kept intact. It contained important works in almost every field of scholarship.
54. Colonel Phillips, a native of Paisley, Scotland, was one of a small group of men who walked from Lawrence to found Salina in 1858 and a close friend of the university its early years. He gave his collection of about 1,000 volumes in economics, history and the sciences to the KWU library.
55. The museum in Carnegie Science Hall had a collection of several hundred geological and mineralogical items secured by two men who were the curators of the Kansas geological exhibit at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893. Also housed in the museum were donated collections of plants, mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and 3,000 insect specimens.
56. The museum in Carnegie Science Hall received many valuable Native American relics from the Smithsonian Institution. Seed corn and beans was received from the Native American ruins in Mesa Verde, CO, supposed to be 900 years old. KWU drew publicity from around the country when some of them, upon being planted, germinated and grew.
57. For the groundbreaking ceremony for King Gymnasium on Oct. 15, 1914, President R. P. Smith gave an address on the relationship of the sound mind and the sound body and Dean King announced the plow was ready. The two oldest members of the Board of Trustees, Dr. Stolz and Mr. C. C. Eberhardt, guided the plow handle while an enthusiastic group of students pulled the rope for the turning of three furrows.
58. The laying of the cornerstone for King Gymnasium and the presidential inauguration of Dr. John F. Harmon took place on Oct. 21, 1915.
59. The completed King Gymnasium was 60 by 90 feet with an additional 30-square-foot addition on the front. It contained the gym, a swimming pool, shower and locker rooms, four offices, a YMCA assembly room and a kitchen. It also made provision in the basement for a central heating plant to supply the needs of all buildings on the campus.
60. The Class of 1915 contributed $1,000 for the purchase of a three-dial clock, electrically illuminated and facing east, west and north.
61. The Class of 1916 contributed $1,000 toward the purchase of floor apparatus for King Gymnasium.
62. In 1916, the Kansas Wesleyan University seal first appeared on the cover of the yearbook, now dubbed The Coyote. It includes the Latin words “Palma Sine Pulvere,” which means “Victory Not Without Toil.”
63. During America’s involvement in the Great War (World War I) in 1917–18, 102 men from the Liberal Arts College left to join the ranks of soldiers, sailors and marines, some never to return. Kansas Wesleyan officially excluded German from the curriculum and French became the required foreign language. KWU expanded the School of Radio and Morse Telegraphy to make vital contributions to the war effort. The short-lived Student Army Training Corps increased the enrollment from 160 students in 1917–18 to 275 in 1918–19.
64. In 1920, KWU conferred 31 degrees: 14 Bachelor of Arts, seven Bachelor of Science, four Bachelor of Literature, four Bachelor of Arts in Domestic Arts and two Bachelor of Music.
65. By September 1921, the Victory Memorial Campaign after World War I raised one million dollars in cash, in-kind gifts and pledges. After deductions for estate notes and scholarships, a net amount of $810,000 remained, one half for a new administration building and one half for endowments.
66. The moving of the first building on the Kansas Wesleyan campus to make way for the new administration building was accomplished in 1921, without the slightest damage to the structure, at a cost of $40,000. Through exceptional engineering skill, the foundations of the building were split and immense timbers put under the walls. Then rails were laid, on which steel rollers bore the heavy burden at a rate of 40 feet per day for a distance of 550 feet from the former site, where the building was lowered upon a new foundation. No crevices or cracks appeared in the masonry and even the ivy on the brick walls was saved.
67. A beautiful ceremony of dedication of the relocated original Administration Building, now known as Lockwood Hall, was held on June 6, 1922. It was renamed in memory of Rev. J. H. Lockwood, one of the pioneer founders of Kansas Wesleyan University and chairman of its first Board of Trustees. Rev. Lockwood’s sons participated, with Dr. Charles D. Lockwood of Pasadena, CA, making the acceptance speech and Dean F. C. Lockwood of the University of Arizona presenting the keynote address. Lockwood Hall became home to the division of Art and Music and was used for liberal arts classrooms while the Hall of the Pioneers was built.
68. Excavations were made in 1922 for the Hall of the Pioneers but it was not until 1930 that the building and Sams Chapel were fully finished. Construction was slowed to take advantage of decreasing costs of building materials and also due to the decision to go forward with construction only as actual funds in hand allowed. Much of the framework was done in 1923. With the help of a $50,000 campaign led in 1924 by the businessmen of Salina, the structure’s framework was fully enclosed in 1925.
69. The cornerstone for the Hall of the Pioneers was placed on Mar. 29, 1924. A sealed box was deposited containing copies of the Salina Mirror, the Salina Evening Journal, the Topeka Daily Capital, the Wesleyan Advance, the proceedings of the 42nd session of the Methodist Northwest Kansas Conference, the current university catalog and the auditor’s report. The dedication address was made by Bishop Waldorf of the Kansas City area.
70. A gift of $25,000 toward the Hall of the Pioneers came from E. C. Sams of New York City, a former Solomon, KS, farm boy and then a top executive with J. C. Penney Company, with the request that the new chapel be named in honor of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. G. L. Sams. In 1926, Sams Chapel, with a seating capacity of 1,500, was opened and dedicated.
71. In the spring of 1928, Robert W. Grafton of Michigan City, IN, painted the mural in the proscenium arch in Sams Chapel. The painting, titled “The Coming of the Pioneers,” was made possible through the generosity of Mrs. Laura A. Clubb of Kaw City, OK, patron of art and supporter of Christian education. The artist was present and spoke when the mural was unveiled during the KWU Commencement exercise on June 1, 1928. He received an honorary degree from the university in 1933.
72. Sculptor art lecturer Lorado Taft spoke at the unveiling of the Grafton mural in Sams Chapel in 1928, and said, “The great of all ages wait to be known of us through books, paintings, music and other forms of beauty… No beauty is greater than that of helping people find themselves, aiding them in broadening their talent and finding their way to still greater realms of beauty, to open new doors of culture and life to them.”
73. The Bean memorial, a unique replica of an old-time well and oaken bucket to the east of Pioneer Hall, is dedicated to Mr. J. W. Bean, Lover of Nature.” Mr. Bean contributed lavishly toward providing the campus with many beautiful evergreens and shrubs.
74. According to the student handbook for 1928, young ladies were expected to be in their rooms at 10 o’clock, except Friday night and Saturday night when the time was extended to 10:30. Gentlemen callers could be received on Friday and Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons.
75. In 1928, young ladies were expected to room in Schuyler Hall unless special permission to room elsewhere has been granted by the Dean of Women. The mistress of the house assumes the responsibility for seeing that Schuyler Hall rules for the young women in regard to hours and callers are strictly observed, and she is to report cases of infraction to the Dean of Women.
76. The 1928 student handbook instructed all freshmen were to wear a designated cap while on campus from the opening football game until the Thanksgiving game.
77. In the 1920s, the Freshman-Sophomore Scrap involved freshmen attempting to obtain the sophomore colors fastened at the top of a pole and defended by the sophomores. If the freshmen won, they could wear their class numerals on their cap. An all-school picnic followed.
78. The dedication ceremony of the completed Hall of the Pioneers was held on Sept. 14, 1930. Bishop Waldorf of Kansas City area spoke and dedicated the building “to the search for truth and the advancement of learning, to the pursuit of wisdom and the promotion of righteousness and to the glory of God and the service of man.”
79. The swimming pool in King Gymnasium was downstairs next to the locker room. It was home to physical education swimming classes. Dr. Mary Virginia “Ginny” Bevan ’56 remembers a one-lap swimming physical fitness requirement.
80. The Wesley Anns Club was a girls’ “pep organization” in the 1930s, limited to 20 members. Any woman student having two semesters of gym class was eligible for membership. They provided “riots” (school spirit yelling) for Friday pep chapels and at home and out-of-town games. Sweaters by the club were bought by the Women’s Athletic Association (W.A.A.).
81. One of KWU’s most notable alumni was Glenn L. Martin, who attended Kansas Wesleyan Business College for a time beginning in 1908. Fascinated with the Wright Brothers airplane, in 1909 he decided to build an airplane of his own. He made test flights in a field just south of campus, the first of which ended in a crash landing. His historic successful flight over Salina at an altitude of 300 feet took place in November 1911.
82. Through 1960, Glenn Martin’s aviation companies produced more than 80 types of aircraft, building 11,000 planes in an age of assembly by hand. Kansas Wesleyan conferred an honorary Doctor of Science degree on him in 1933.
83. In 1940, Glenn Martin established the first endowed fund at KWU. He gave more than $500,000 to the university during his lifetime and through his estate.
84. The Glenn L. Martin stadium, a Works Project Administration (W.P.A.) project, was dedicated in 1940. That year the Football team won the conference championship. Kansas Wesleyan football used the Martin Stadium grandstand for 67 years, until October 2006.
85. In the early 1940s, square dancing was traditional at Kansas Wesleyan. Ballroom dancing was considered too intimate, so sororities and fraternities held dances off campus, usually in the Lamar Hotel. In 1942, students petitioned to change the rule, but permission was not granted. Then Fern McCarthy, an influential and beloved literature teacher who had status with the higher powers, volunteered to sponsor a dance. The first campus ballroom dance was a gala event, held on the lower floor of Pioneer Hall.
86. During Freshman Week, a greased telephone pole was erected about four yards northeast of the Wishing Well, which then stood in front of the east entrance of Pioneer Hall. Heavy grease was spread all over it, and the young men took turns to see who could climb the farthest up the pole. The one who got the highest was a celebrity. This tradition was discontinued after 1939 because many young men were leaving to join the military in preparation for war.
87. The Wesleyan Mrs. Club was composed of the wives of Kansas Wesleyan University students in the 1950s and 1960s. In keeping with their motto, “The Morale Builders,” they kept themselves connected to their husbands’ educational journey through monthly meetings at KWU.
88. Sams Hall of Fine Arts, dedicated in 1953, was named in honor of Mr. Sams, who died in 1951. One of the gifts toward the construction of this building came from Mr. J. C. Penney, whom Sams had met many years earlier in Kansas. E. C. Sams worked alongside James Cash Penney to build the J. C. Penney Company into a national department store chain. Sams brought J.C. Penney Co. stores to the main streets of 80 Kansas cities and rural towns.
89. In 1954, as in earlier decades, the members of the freshman class were issued a beanie. They had to wear them until the first KWU touchdown of the Homecoming football game. On that day, Glenn Martin Stadium was packed. The Coyotes won the coin toss and elected to receive the opening kick-off. Gerald “Toby” Toburen caught the ball and ran it back for a 98-yard touchdown, and the beanies were off!
90. In 1950s, the KWU basketball team used King Gymnasium for practice. Their locker was on the floor below the gym; the football team used the same locker room in the fall. Because of a lack of adequate seating for spectators in King Gym, home basketball games were played in Memorial Hall in downtown Salina.
91. King Gymnasium in the 1950s was home to gym classes, and was usually the site of Homecoming dances, the Lilac Fete dance and various sorority and fraternity dances.
92. The swimming pool in King Gymnasium was downstairs next to the locker room and hosted swimming classes. Dr. Mary Virginia “Ginny” Bevan ’56 remembers a one-lap swim physical fitness requirement.
93. The Women’s Physical Education program in the 1950s featured small classes for women to develop skills in major sports such as tennis or basketball, many recreational sports like badminton and archery, rhythms (games and activities) and swimming. In 1954–55, women could major or minor in Physical Education.
94. In 1956, President Arthur Zook and Dean Paul Renich traveled to Chicago appear before the North Central Association to learn the results of Kansas Wesleyan’s pending application for full accreditation. In a special student assembly in Fitzpatrick Auditorium a day or two later, beloved faculty member Dr. F. C. Peters announced that KWU had been approved, and invited everyone to sing The Doxology. That night, most of the student body, including the Pep Band, gathered at the downtown Salina train station to welcome home President Zook and Dean Renich.
95. In 1956, the Hungarian Revolution against occupying Russia failed and many refugees fled the country. KWU asked to be one of the nation’s schools to house and educate a refugee and was approved to receive a student. Many students, faculty and staff went to the old Salina Airport on East Crawford to meet their Hungarian student. A slightly bewildered-looking young man stepped off of the plane, blinking at the many popping camera flash bulbs. His name was Andre Toth. He went on to graduate from Wesleyan, continues to live in the United States and keeps in contact with several friends from his college days.
96. Married housing in the 1950s were made up of three sets of converted military barracks that had been turned into one- and two-bedroom units. They were located right behind Schuyler Hall, originally the first women’s dorm but by then a men’s dorm. Rent was about $30 per month, utilities included.
97. New married housing units were constructed in 1957 (South Hall) and 1958 (North Hall). “The Barracks” married housing units were torn down.
98. In the mid-1950s, the women’s dorm, Pfeiffer Hall, had a curfew. Women had to be in by 10:30 p.m. on weeknights and at midnight on Saturdays. Miss Jean Bradley, the housemother, stood inside the front door and locked it exactly at 10:30 p.m. or midnight.
99. The religious life organization for the university in the 1950s was the Methodist Student Movement, working closely with University Methodist Church. Activities included a whistle walk for freshmen, fall and spring retreats, slave labor day, Christmas party for needy children at the Americanization Center in Salina, worship and communion services in Miller Chapel, the organization’s state conference, Wednesday evening Quest, Friday Nighters recreational activities and Sunday evening study groups and programs.
100. In the early ’60s, the student movie series was showing such pictures as “North By Northwest” and “Cheaper by the Dozen” for a 25-cent admission fee that included the cost of refreshments.
101. In the spring of 1969, a small group of women’s physical education professors, including Dr. Ginny Bevan ’56, retired professor emeritus and coach of women’s sports, formed the Association of Kansas Women’s Intercollegiate Sports (AKWIS). In the early years, teams played anyone and everyone, without respect to enrollment size, funding or recruitment. Dr. Bevan remembers Hays, Kansas State, Wichita University, University of Kansas and Pittsburg University on her KWU volleyball and softball schedules.
102. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, KWU women’s intercollegiate sports teams had to buy their own uniforms and glued felt letters on the shirts. They ran bake sales and car washes to finance transportation to games, which generally meant personal cars. They ate brown bag meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Title IX, enacted in 1972, allowed equal opportunity but did not demand equal funding.