Graduation Requirements & Information
You are here
This is a general list of institutional obligations which must be met for graduation. Other graduation requirements (such as minimum GPA, specific courses required, KWU residency hours, and hours from a 4 year school) are listed in your catalog. If you have questions or need help, please contact the Enrollment and Financial Services Office (Pioneer Hall 285; 785-827-5541 ext. 1260).
- Complete a Graduation Information Form and submit to the Enrollment and Financial Services office at LEAST one FULL SEMESTER prior to graduation!
- In order to be listed as a candidate for graduation the student must be enrolled in or have completed all courses needed to fulfill all graduation requirements. Students unable to complete all requirements in the fall or spring semesters may participate in commencement by enrolling in the necessary course in the summer semester (up to nine hours Undergraduate or six hours Graduate). All course substitutions, portfolio, CLEP scores, official transfer transcripts, etc. and pre-enrollment for spring and summer courses must be completed before January 2.
- All incomplete grades must be completed before the degree will be posted to the transcript and the diploma released.
- All university debts must be satisfied and all university books and equipment must be returned. If a financial or other "hold" exists, the student may still graduate, but neither the diploma nor academic transcripts will be released until the debt has been satisfied. The Enrollment and Financial Services office will confirm (in writing or by telephone) the graduate's degree, graduation date, major(s), minor(s), and graduation honors.
- Any encumbrance related to violations of the student life code must be resolved.
- Students who ever had a student loan while attending KWU must attend a Loan Counseling Session, dates and times for these sessions will be emailed to graduation candidates near the end of each session.
- COMPREHENSIVE DEPARTMENTAL EXAMS: Some baccalaureate degree students are required to take a comprehensive exam administered by the KWU assessment department. You will be required to take the comprehensive exam in any major that requires it. You should contact the faculty in your major department early in your senior year to find out if your major requires an exam. You can take the Departmental Exam on In-Service Day during either the fall or springsemester of your senior year.
- If you have questions regarding the University Assessment process and requirements, please contact Ray Tucker, Director of Assessment 785-827-5541 ext. 1398 / Pioneer Hall Suite 390), Institutional Data Assessment Coordinator
- If, after turning in your graduation application, you find you will not be able to complete your graduation requirements by July 2010, CONTACT THE ENROLLMENT AND FINANCIAL SERVICES OFFICE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (785-827-5541 ext. 1260)!
- If you wish to purchase graduation announcements, you may order from Yotee’s Bookstore, C.B. Announcements, or from any other company you find (or you may choose to make your own!)
- Summer Degree Candidates--For undergraduate degree candidates, no more than nine remaining credit hours may be pending for summer registration in order to qualify for participation in Commencement. For graduate degree candidates, no more than six remaining credit hours may be pending for summer registration in order to qualify for participation in Commencement. Each planned summer graduate will have a deadline of January 2 to register in the summer courses needed at KWU or provide documentation that he or she has registered in the required course at another institution. If this is not provided, the student will be listed as a graduate for the next academic year and will participate in that commencement ceremony.
- Tentative Graduation Honors are recognized at Commencement for students who meet the grade point average requirements after the fall semester. Final graduation honors are noted on the academic transcript
- Students must complete an online exit survey prior to graduation. An email will be sent out to all graduating seniors with a link to the online exit survey and further instructions on completing the survey.